Monday, January 13, 2014

#ModelMondayMayhem : Sean O'Pry for Da Man Magazine


* More photos after break...

Sean O’Pry has been around the world in the last couple years. The world’s most popular male model, O’Pry’s face has been gracing the covers of the best fashion magazines in every corner of the globe. Not bad for a small-town boy from rural Georgia.

Here in the year 2012 exactly a power player among social networking sites. Still, no matter what the future holds for the site, the owners can always take pride in being the ones who made the rise of the Sean O’Pry phenomenon possible. The 22-year-old male supermodel was first discovered by fashion guru Nolé Marin (you may know him as a sometime judge on America’s Next Top Model), when he happened upon some high school prom pictures of O’Pry on MySpace.

That was 2006 and at the time, O’Pry was just a 17-year-old kid from the little town of Kennesaw (pop. 29,000) in the southern U.S. state of Georgia. Maybe it was because of his brooding good looks, or his charming Southern personality, or simply because of his raw talent; but for whatever reason, O’Pry quickly became the favorite of designers and photographers. In 2007 alone, he walked the runways for Diesel, Marc by Marc Jacobs and Zegna, among others. He has been photographed with supermodel Jessica Stam. He has been the face of Calvin Klein and Gianfranco Ferré. It was hardly a surprise when Forbes magazine ranked him as the world’s most successful male model in 2009, just two years after O’Pry started full-time modeling.

Three years on and O’Pry hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down. So far this year, he has been featured in ad campaigns for Viktor & Rolf cologne, Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren Black Label Denim and Calvin Klein, in addition to appearing in one of Madonna’s music videos for Girls Gone Wild. O’Pry proves to DA MAN that he’s really worth all the buzz around him in this exclusive fashion shoot and interview.

DA MAN: Can you share with us your story? How did you get started in modeling?

Sean O’Pry: Well, I was on a traveling baseball team, and our [high school] football season was about to start as well, and I get this message in my inbox on MySpace from a guy called Nolé [Marin], from my prom pictures. And then he called my parents, and put this woman on the phone and she speaks to my mom … and then they get off the phone and my mom and dad tell me the deal—that VNY [Model Management] is sending a contract in a few minutes. We sat down and talked and thought ‘why not give it a try?’ That woman that was on the phone with my parents was named Lana Tomzcak [née Winters], the owner of VNY. Lana, and her husband Damian, have raised me since November 27, 2006.

DA MAN: Did you ever dream of becoming a model? Traveling the world? Living under the spotlight?

Sean O’Pry: Not even close! But when I got the opportunity … why not try? And at the beginning, it was all up in the air, was I going to go, or not? Was I going to make it? But anything I do, I devote myself to it. I’m not one to fail and if I do, I do it again and again till I succeed. It’s probably my greatest and worst flaw.

DA MAN: Describe your life in the past few weeks? What’s a typical day in the life of Sean O?

Sean O’Pry: Interesting (laughs) … hectic, but blessed.

** Check out his full interview in Da Man Magazine

Photographs : Mitchell Nguyen McCormack
Styling : Cannon

No comments:

Post a Comment